Friday 9 December 2022

ONE-YEAR-OLD MOTHER

 

In my creative smithy, there lie the soft shadows of a zillion stories. Some stories do serve as the guideposts to my heart as well as my amygdala. Let me take you all to one such story that has transformed the elixir of my life into a new empire.

My marital life has translated me to an alternative realm of realities. I have created the faint footprints I have already traversed through the pages and stages of my life. The story of mine needs no filter, especially while I was sensing the euphoria of creation within me. Putting an end to all speculations, the much-awaited day to welcome the new love of my life has reached the doorsteps. Aah, it was a C- section delivery and everything befell in a few minutes’ hurry burry. In the shades of that anaesthetic instant, I heard the doctor’s announcement, “It’s a baby boy, dear”. In that moment of cloud nine, the nurse presented my baby for a moment. For me, the firstvision of mine to him appeared faint as I was in the frenzy of the surgical unit. Just one minute and my baby had gone. I had to wait one day and night to see, touch and sense him. The day began crawling and I was counting the hours and persistently asking the nurse to show the baby. They did it twice for a few minutes and he was taken away from me. I was desperately waiting for the dawn of the next day. To my utter dismay, I was discharged from the ICU only by noon after the doctor’s checkup, nurse’s advice, and kinds of stuff. Even in those moments of sheer exhaustion, I could heave a sigh of relief thinking my mother is there to take care of him. The one who has showered her unfaltering love and care ever since my birth is there for my baby too. Her sanguine presence will bestow an alluring welcome to my baby who is no more comfortably chilling inside my tummy clinging to the umbilical cord. When it’s time for me to be in my mother’s shoes, I began craving for the auspicious vision of my little wonder. The agony and pangs of the C- section has vanished just by a glimpse of my little marvel. Here begins a fresh chapter of my life with my cutie pie.Days and months passed liked a smooth breeze. Anvik aka Kunjapp, the spring of my life has bestowed a new world of happiness and happenings to me. The mother in me started weaving the tapestries of life embellished by his hearty arrival. Every day with him seemed to be a novel experience. I am always a mother in making as I have a better role model of my mother in front of me to learn, sense, and feel the verities of motherhood. To make matters worse, she fainted all of a sudden and we had to rush to the hospital. As she felt better after a few hours of drip, the doctor suggested coming the next day for a checkup including the COVID test. Kunjapp who is so fond of his grandma wanted to be in his arms and began screaming. Amma tried to evade his presence and his prattling voice beckoned her calling Ammamma. Amma slept off within no time after having a bowl of rice soup. The next day approached within a wink and Amma went to the hospital with Achan. As Kunjapp and I usually get up after 9o’ clock, they locked the door and left for the hospital. Around 09:30, I received a call from Achan saying Amma tested COVID positive and they may take some time to reach home. I could hear Amma’s voice saying she wanted to talk to me desperately. Over the phone, she told me: “Apu, baby’s banana’s stew isthere in his bowl and try to make him eat it fully. Take great care of him. Before I reach, both ofyou move to the upstairs room”. The call got disconnected. Amma’s unflinching and unwavering support has impelled me all these years. The one-year-old mother in me is yet to travel and unravel the serene patterns of motherhood painted by a thirty-one-year-old mother. Nothing canparallel the unfaltering love and selfless sacrifice of a mother. How can I not adore her for what she is and the way she is? Get well soon! Kunjapp yearns for a nap in your lap, Amma!

Ammamma – Grandmother in Malayalam language

Amma – Mother in Malayalam language

Achan – Father in Malayalam language


This story is taken from my scribblings revolving in, around and within the universe of my darling baby Anvik’s milestones. Now, Ammamma is counting down days to meet and treat her Goan baby!

( A snippet of my published story)

No comments:

Post a Comment