Monday 23 April 2018

DASHING DELTA


It was a pleasant sunny Tuesday morning. I reported at BSH room and presented my physical presence in the Attendance register of the Ad Hoc Civilian Teaching Faculty. I proceeded to Room Number A212 where the three English Ad Hoc faculties have to share a cabin. I sensed that a cabin of one’s own will take some months’ time. As Lalitha chechi and Ruth chechi don’t have a spirit of territoriality or possession in this temporary space of ours, three of us are really gonna enjoy the fleeting moments of togetherness at its zenith. I comprehended from Lalithechi’s words that there is ample scope of playing musical chair here. Whosoever comes first can occupy the huge cum rotating chair. After filling the quota of jokes for the morning, I had a peep into the long horizontal sheet that is desperately in need of a sharp eyesight or a microscopic vision. That sheet affectionately addressed as WTP (Weekly Time Period) gives the details of all our classes in detail. In short, WTP is the sine qua non of INA’s academic ship.  As informed on the very first day that I am going to teach 99INAC section, my eyes aided by spectacles tried their best to focus only on the WTP of those third semesters. (Oh, it is not semester but, term here in this Naval parlance. I have to abide by the terms and conditions of INA)
Lalithechi has thrown some light on the flavours I come across in all sections. She whispered “Relax da! Children are of school standard only. And the topics? Do not worry at all”. I was a bit relieved from my apprehensions.
 By now (within two days), I inferred that both chechis have a special corner for Charlie section. I thought for a while as if like a soliloquy- Why is Charlie so dear to all? My excitement knew no bounds. Will the children be as creative and charming as Dulqer Salman’s Charlie? A tsunami of thoughts began to stir my mind. But, to my utter dismay, I am not going to make my debut teaching entry with the Charlie section but with Delta section. The very lecture in Delta will be followed by a lecture in Bravo.
Oh, it is Delta……
Oh, it is Bravo then….
I have not heard a single inspiring/good review about both the batches by someone’s grace. Hiding my disappointment, I made myself ready to meet the so called Destructive Delta (crazy/lazy) and Brilliant Bravo(attitude/arrogant) sections of 99INAC.
The auspicious time approached faster than a satellite or a terrorist attack. It’s time to meet 99INAC D. The room number mentioned in the WTP is B512. I just know one thing that B stands for Bhaskara and our department of English is in Aryabhatta. My phenomenal paths from Aryabhatta to Bhaskara will be filled with the portraits of scientific prodigies comprising Kautilya, Ramanujan, Sir, C.V. RamanDr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, JC Bose, E Sreedharan, and Shakuntala Devi who harnessed a glorious path for our Mother India. I grasped one thing- Here stairs never end and so do the steps and floors. I could not resist myself from acknowledging the master brain behind this awe inspiring as well as escalating architecture. I was enlightened by the construction that innumerable steps in a non-parallel style can be erected in a single floor. Eureka!!!!Mission accomplished-  I managed to find B512. I opened the door that was lying slightly closed. I set my foot into the serene floor of 99INAC Delta where I have seen majority of the handsome ones in hibernation process /sleeping posture (might be practicing Shavaasana?)
I started smiling sheepishly at the Delta darlings/dopes. I found it sensible to inform them that I am their new English instructor. Hence, I did that and asked them to give their introduction. I assured that I will provide my intro at the end once they are done with their act of introducing. I was ecstatic to know that more than majority of the cadets are representing the northern belt of Haryana, UP, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Delhi and my very own Rajasthan. I assumed there will be a maximum of 2-5 girls so that the boys in their adrenaline rush will feel bindaas in class. Later on, I got to know that girls are only in NOC courses in which English is not at all taught. Abba!! I have to manage all these pattaaka, tall and macho boys. I pity my poor tiny self! Although the borne strength is less than 30 per class, the strength they show in class in unbearable. The introductory session commenced like the gushing of a river (it did not last for long though). Two rows from the left have successfully finished their introduction venture. The first row from the left felt so irritating just because I caused a hindrance to their smooth night mode of day. One cadet was reluctant to raise his head and look at me for a darshan. He did not even bestow the attention of his to an entirely new creature (poor myself). He was unable to make the head and tail of the process happening in the class. The other cadet sitting adjacent to him uttered – “ Arrey, ladki apne baare mei bolne ko pooch rahe ho.”
I was not at all irritated but inspired. Covering my sense of laughter at its zenith, I replied – “ I am not ladki. Mein Madam hoom”.
Yeah, the cadet understood that I understood his Hindi. I entered into another soliloquy- How come he knew that I am a girl? I felt the invisible presence of my wonderful Jo boys and company here. Btw, who was that cadet?
Do I remember the name?
Do I not wish to reveal his name?
Let it remain as a wild secret. hehehe!
Once everybody finished their introduction, I heard a manly voice from the back seat of third row- “Ma’am, your introduction, please… It was Satpreet Singh, a handsome sardarji with a pleasing smile and a dinchaak turban. After the deliberation of my introduction, I asked someone to volunteer and give me a rough sketch of their daily life style/routine. I was curious to know about the top chops whose darshan will fill my days for the coming term. Without much ado, a stout cadet came forward to the podium.  His power was reflected not only in his appearance but also in his stream of words. It was none other than Kumar Manjeet ( Jiya ho Bihar ke laala). I was able to garner all the information of their daily Academic cum physical routine starting from 0500 hours. The climax of any day is unpredictable just like the fate of an ordinary human being. It all depends on the magnanimity and the affection lavished upon them by their sweet seniors. I felt that I don’t require any explanation or briefing on this topic from any other class of Alpha, Bravo and Charlie. Manjeet’s touching words couched in his irony and iron will meant a lot. Hereby, I declare Manjeet as the spokesperson of Delta as well the entire 99INAC section.
After knowing each other, I asked them to pen a paragraph on anything they like so as to assess their proficiency in English language. The spokesperson exhorted – “Ma’am, time is up.” I asked – “Will you write in the next class?”
“Yes, Ma’am. We will.” I heard a chorus then.
I said, ‘Alright’ and started making a move. Rapidly, someone called me from the first row. “Ma’am, whatever we said so far is unofficial. Please do not share with our officers.” I assured that I won’t and do not worry at all.
Now, it’s time to meet the Brilliant Bravos. That time only, I understood the real brilliance of the daring Delta. Ten minutes were left to finish the class. Hereby, they proved their lazy colour. I had to wait in front of Bravo for almost 10 minutes. I was saved from mounting stairs because Bravo was next to Delta in the room B511. I was not yet recovered from the hangover of meeting toppers from the bottom. How will be Bravo then? Still, Delta remains distinct for their visceral cum genuine expression via words and feeling although hyper crazy and lazy. The dynamic Delta has made a mighty upstart in my novel naval journey. It is/It can/ It will be the one and only Delta who can be as crazy and lazy as normal boys. Count down begins for the josh and jolting moments with Dashing DELTA. What about Charlie then? What about Alpha and Bravo?
One thing, I have to agree at this juncture. All 99INAC’s are equal. But Delta remains more equal than the others and as special as smiling Satpreet, marvelous Manjeet, Chaala baavundhi Gokul (Revisiting my Hyderabadi feelings via the representatives of Telangana. The spirit is exemplified in Kiran who shares a place nearby Gokul thammudu), affectionate Siddarth (a sisterly affection instills in me for all his loving gestures and nature. Abhit  Mayank tops the list though), motivating Nandana Krishna (one who teaches and inspires me a lot to learn lot many new stuffs), Haryanvi Pandit Bhawesh, Calm and cute Bhosle, argumentative Digvijay, doubtful Siddhu, Sleepy Rishu, Silent Bisht, simple Sahil, unhealthy Himanshu( SIQ or carries scan results in my class), exhausted Anand , polite Joel,  assignment wallas consisting of Shivam Shukla, Rocky Kumar, Abhinash Kumar, Dipayan Sir ( and the list goes on) and the shandaar beccha party(always in need of snacks and sprite to crack technical problems and jokes)  – cool Shukla bhai, Soothing Sood, childish and tender Senwal, schoolboy Panwar and Chaangla Manas accompanied and protected by tall Shubham Kundu ( the one who is dying to imitate my voice) and drowsy Rahul Singh. It is time to put myself in tune with the naval melodies of Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta sections of 99INAC.
Siren tolls! It is the murmuring of the biological clock to meet the top chops clad in white shirts and white trousers (the brilliant attitude wallas of Bravo).
I really doubt whether I come up to or live up to the standard of their other faculties. I don’t know whether I have disappointed any of the sections. If so, I have to apologize for my irritating cum inspiring character. Let me cite John Le Carre’s quote here: “It was to kind, too generous, too sudden, too long ago”.  And so, I just move on with my ‘limited edition’ character. I am just me. I can only be me with all my flaws, frailties and freely flowing nature. In this busy world, we meet to part and part to meet. Hope, we meet again! I devote a special space for all the sections in this unique way: Amazing Alpha germinates thoughts in me, Brimming Bravo gives me the green signal to go ahead with the sprouted thoughts and Charming Charlie makes me creative. Now, what about Delta????

Delta - the door to unfurl my zillion impressions!

DELTA is my battle field aka field of action. It dashes with its dynamically destructing strength. Has Siddarth been right in stating that Delta is a different Delta in my English class? I do not know. Who knows? Only Dashing cum Daring Delta knows!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment