Wednesday 28 December 2016

ANCIENT PROMISES


People deem my nature as 'someone dwelling in the world of words. I can be 'an often unbearable girl' with pestering non stop messages and talks on movies, music, travel, passion for Bangla, Telugu and some other languages cum literature.Sometimes I feel whether my entity has any essence in a world other than my journalism pranks, interviews,media reporting and dudes as crazy, funny and weird as me.I attribute all my flaws and positives to my utmost loving Achan, Amma, Anakha Ajith(Meenukutty) and my Chitappan.The passionate souls who kindled my love for words started right from my school days incorporating my Paternal Grandmother(late) hailing from Palakkad district.I still recollect those days when Granny taught me the English letters and the nursery rhyme 'johny johny yes papa' with her mouth wide open and sans teeth.I owe a lot to my Granny for kindling a passion for literature, novels, handicrafts.A kind hearted soul with a fair complexion as fair as her mind albeit she was partially deaf and weak in eyesight. 





I used to listen to the stories of the hardships which my Father, Granny and family have undergone due to her adverse circumstances in life.But there is a thrill in hearing a sentence repeatedly that "My Granny is the daughter of a then pundit and their family association with Malayalam literary trio Kumaran Asan, Veena Poovu, Karuna and all".My father too has a significant influence in literature via Malayalam Poetry. Once I started having a pure world of literature, word within a word unable to speak a word swaddled with darkness( T.S.Eliot), I literally feel proud of my roots... When many of my friends and faculties tease, bless and wish me addressing 'upcoming Arundhati Roy, Anita Nair and......", I wish to have a mark of my own n may be a typical Jaishree Misra type.. Thanks a lot, Amma for getting me 'Ancient Promises'.Although I am indebted to my cute Amma girl for her love, selfless care, affection, I am blissful when she gifts and gets me all the novels, books, articles of strong women.Your strength especially in the storms of my life plus your ardent desire to see your elocution, University debate winner Appu as a diasporic writer like Jaishree Misra or Lahiri is the pronounced strength of my life.



"Writing is like the tap I have in my bathroom in Delhi that never turns off completely."(Jaishree Misra).Glad that my Parents and Meenukutty adore such a non-stop pipe reverberating water in the form of words through out the nook and cranny of my lovely 'Krishnavandana'.
Being the daughter of Government employees, I literally feel lucky by the way Amma's and Achan's officers and Departments influenced and encouraged my sister and me. Amma being a non- teaching staff had to hear many displeasing comments from some so called teaching staffs( I mean some relatives- blood relation in special). But many good and inspiring hearts have inspired us a lot. Special mention to Anirudhan KumaranSir for knowing me from the time I was a Graduate student.plus my Achan too.Our bonds have enhanced once Amma became your College Senior Supdt. I literally respect teachers like you and for giving me confidence and inspiration to move ahead with my dreams as per the spectacular expectations pinned on me.I miss teachers who know the real dharma of teaching these days. Glad to have teachers like Mohan Ramanan Sir, Sindhu Maam, Girija Miss, Sabitha Teacher, Ravindran Sir, Baiju Chandran sir and... (list goes on)


“After breaking just about every rule in the Kerala Etiquette Handbook”, Janu once again becomes grist for the gossip mill. “Soon it would have reason to sit back and rock on its heels in cruel laughter, slapping its friends on the back and wheezing with the fun of it all.”(Mishra)Though London-based her Malayali roots beckon, Kerala forming the backdrop of her stories. “I am proud to be a Malayali. There is a surge of pride when we realise that we share statistics with the developed world, but we need to beware of getting into a sense of superiority. It is a great feeling but accompanying that is a deeply conservative society. For me it is less forgivable to be deeply conservative when by and large we are educated people.” And her ten long years in Kochi. “M.G. Road has changed beyond recognition. In the city I was losing my sense of direction as I could not find any of the known landmarks.” Her visit to her fond teacher, Prof. Madhukar Rao’s house, where she did her MA, “I had called him from Thiruvananthapuram. He said, come along, we will sit and laugh together.” And that’s what she did there and in the city enjoying her brief visit...

Anakha Ajith- Count down for powerful novels like this from my JRF holder too...Amma will gift anyway as always and usual like Achan...Hope we can witness a Rain Rising together........hehehehe...
Thanks for those who took pains to go through my 'essay'.Wishing a Resplendent New Year' for all !

Miles and promises to keep  with a smile before I sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment