Monday 6 January 2014

MY IMPRESSION ON IFFK



I just don’t know what to pen down. It is beyond the power of words to portray my feelings on the International Film Festival of Kerala. The well known adage ‘first impression is the best impression’ proves worth in my case. I applied for the 18th International Film Festival immediately when the registrations started. After that I was counting down the days  for this grand event. I have to come know about the film festival from my friends who have watched it before. Anyway, I felt an urge to become a part of the festival. Finally, putting an end to all spectacular expectations, the much awaited  week gathered welcoming me with the movies from world panorama.

As it was the time of  semester break for my sister, I booked tickets for her also. As she is a good film viewer, I am sure that she will really make use of this great opportunity. Moreover I really like to bestow her some red letter days far apart from her routine oft beaten track of Hyderabadi life.

I began watching movies from the very first day onwards. I got a chance to watch movies at almost all theatres of the capital city.I tried to watch three films a day. All the movies were quite praiseworthy. The handbook and the movie chart were really helpful as it helps to get a bird’s eye view on the theme of  all movies. We charted every d



ay’s schedule with the aid of this book. We discussed the theme among our friends and decided which movie has to be watched. My friend Aravind helped me a lot in selecting the movies. It is a matter of immense delight that I got opportunities to interact with the directors Sidhartha Shiva(101 Chodyangal), Veena Bakshi(The Coffin Maker) and Fernando Eimbcke(Club Sandwich). I got a chance to work with the media committee.I was so happy to see my news with byline.

I enjoyed all movies irrespective of the country, caste, religion and race. I felt that some movies shown in the carnival were capable of providing us with some lessons and message. It was really a nice time with my friends. I was deeply influenced by the movies of the star of the Bengali Renaissance- Rituparno Ghosh. I watched all the movies of his shown  under the homage category. Even words fail to convey my admiration for Ghosh’s movies. Those Bengali movies took me me back to the days of masters education with a huge Bengali population. I just love their language that has always an echo of some consonant sounds. Those movies made me ponder over the moments I shared with my Bengali roommate and friends.




When the curtain fell, I felt hard to bid adieu to the 18th International Film Festival of Kerala at Trivandrum. Spectators belonging to different parts of the world left the place carrying the traces of the classic cinemas from the world panorama. Eight days passed like a smooth breeze. Those were the days of dashing from theatres to theatres catching vehicles, enjoying snacks, expressing opinions about the movies for various channels, running after the directors and celebrities for interviews and autograph and so on. It also acted as a way to establish amity with a lot of people hailing from different background. I really enjoyed the movies. In one way or other the gave a lot of experience. My heartfelt thanks to dear Baiju sir for his suggestion of movies. Yearning for the next IFFK. Special thanks to my batchmate Aravind for his  selection of movies. Had a great time and loveable moments with Mega, Rajesh, Amina, Reneesh, Soorya, Shinoj, Ajeesh and Anakha Ajith. Thanks to all for making the movie carnival a memorable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment